- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 400g onions, sliced
- 500g okra, trimmed, washed, dried and sliced into 2cm pieces
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped (or ½ tsp powdered)
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- handful fresh coriander, roughly chopped, to serve
- Heat a large wok or frying pan over a medium heat. Add the oil, then the onions, cooking until soft. Stir in the okra. Add the tomatoes and chilli, then season. Mix well and keep stirring gently, taking care not to break up the okra. Okra releases a sticky substance when cooked, but keep cooking, stirring gently – this will disappear and the tomatoes will become pulpy, about 10 mins.
- Lower heat, add ground coriander and cook for another 5-10 mins. Add 2 tbsp water, cover and let simmer for another 4-5 mins. Sprinkle with coriander and serve with basmati rice or chapati bread.
Thanks to our friends at Good Food for this awesome recipe!