1 lb sea scallops (about 12)
4 ounces bacon (or Pancetta)
5 ears corn
3 tablespoons chives, chopped
salt and pepper, to taste
1 cup basil leaves
1 small jalapeno, seeded
1 lime, juice of
3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon honey
1/2 teaspoon salt
- Make dressing by putting all ingredients into food processor and blitzing until well combined. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Make sure scallops are dried and thawed. Chop scallions (whites and greens) and chives and place in large serving bowl, set aside.
- Heat large skillet over medium-high heat and cook bacon until all fat is rendered, about 15 minutes. Remove bacon and set aside for later.
- While fat is rendering, shuck corn, rub with a bit of olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Grill for about 4 minutes per side, until done. About 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle scallops with salt and pepper. Cook scallops by adding half of the bacon drippings to skillet and heating until almost smoking. Add half of the scallops and cook for 3-5 minutes on each side or until browned. Do not overcook.
- Remove cooked scallops to plate and keep warm. Cook remaining scallops via the same method, using the second half of the bacon fat.
- While the scallops are cooking, chop up bacon into small pieces and add to bowl with chopped scallions and chives.
- When the corn is done, remove from grill, cut kernels off the cob and add to bowl containing the bacon, scallions and chives.
- Serve salad by placing 3-4 scallops on top of 4 equal portions of the corn salad. Don’t forget the dressing!