- 1 1/2 cups (250 g) dried black-eyed peas (cowpeas), soaked
- 2 tomatoes, grated
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped or pressed
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley or cilantro
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
1. Drain the soaked black-eyed peas, then mix them with the remaining ingredients in a pressure cooker or pot. Add 3 1/2 to 4 cups of water and bring to a simmer.
2. Continue using one of the methods below:
- Pressure cooker method. Cover tightly and cook with pressure over medium heat for about 35 minutes. Check to see if the black-eyed peas are tender. If not, add a little water if necessary and cook for another 5 minutes with pressure. Once the beans are cooked to your liking, reduce the liquids so that the beans are quite saucy, but not watery. Adjust the seasoning if desired, and serve.
- Conventional pot method. Cover and simmer the black eyed peas over medium heat for an hour or longer, until the beans are tender and sitting in a reduced, but ample rich sauce. Check the water level occasionally during the cooking, adding a little more if necessary. Adjust the seasoning if desired, and serve.