We are seeking an experienced farmer to manage our Austin and Bastrop farms. The ideal person is a passionate, experienced sustainable farmer with at least three years of experience with a record of increasing responsibility.
You are eager to learn about what it takes to succeed in Central Texas and can manage the entire process of growing, from seed selection to sales.
As farm manager, you will:
- Establish and maintain a professional, fast work pace for others to emulate
- Enjoy interacting with customers, chefs and general public
- Be comfortable teaching and managing interns, adult volunteers and workshare members, some of whom have farming aspirations
- Help with tours and school field trips
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Day-to-day field/CSA operations (65% of time)
- Sales: Farm stand, wholesale (10% of time)
- Education and outreach (25% of time)
Because we run a community-based farm, your must have excellent communications skills. And because we are certified organic, you must be detail-oriented, able to maintain online and paper records for certification. Hopefully, you can drive a tractor/BCS, repair equipment, build infrastructure, or be willing to learn. Speaking Spanish is not required but preferred.
Salary is based upon experience and may include on-farm housing at our River FarmOne-week paid vacation and up to 3 weeks off between seasons (in July/Aug and Dec/Jan).