- 1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cubed or cut into half moons
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1/4 c. red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- 5 oz. baby spinach (about 6 cups)
- 1/2 c. pecans, toasted and chopped
- Preheat oven to 425° and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Arrange butternut squash on the prepared baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Roast until golden brown and crisp, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, fry bacon over medium heat until crisp, turning occasionally, about 6 minutes total. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and transfer bacon grease to a small bowl.
- In the same skillet, cook shallot over medium-high heat until tender, 4 minutes. Stir in red wine vinegar and brown sugar and mix well. Whisk in 2 tablespoons bacon grease and season with salt and pepper.
- Place spinach in a large bowl. Add pecans and roasted butternut squash and pour over warm vinaigrette, tossing gently to combine. Serve immediately.