- 2 cups diced peeled beets ( ½-inch; about 2 medium)
- ⅔ cup buttermilk
- 1½ cups white whole-wheat flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup canola oil or grapeseed oil
- 1¾ cups packed confectioners’ sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, at room temperature
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 12 ( ½-cup) muffin cups with paper liners.
- Bring about 1 inch of water to a boil in a large saucepan fitted with a steamer basket. Add beets, cover and steam until tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer to a blender. Add buttermilk and puree until smooth. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the beet puree. Pour the rest into a large bowl.
- Whisk flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk egg, oil, 1 cup confectioners’ sugar and vanilla into the beet puree in the large bowl. Stir in the dry ingredients until just combined. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups.
- Bake the cupcakes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 18 to 20 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely.
- To prepare frosting: Combine the remaining ¾ cup confectioners’ sugar and cream cheese with the reserved beet puree in a medium bowl. Beat with an electric mixer until smooth. Top each cooled cupcake with a generous 1 tablespoon frosting.
Thanks to our friends at Eating Well for this tasty recipe!