Discovered by our Community Organizer Christina Jones
Makes 12 servings, takes 45 minutes.
- 4 lb mustard greens, stems and coarse ribs discarded
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, or to taste
- Cook mustard greens in 2 batches in a 6- to 8-quart pot of boiling salted water , stirring to submerge, until wilted and tender, about 5 minutes. Transfer with tongs to a large bowl of cold water to stop cooking. Drain greens in a colander, pressing to squeeze out excess moisture, then coarsely chop.
- Cook garlic in butter in a 4- to 5-quart heavy pot over moderately low heat, stirring, until softened, about 2 minutes. Add boiled greens, salt, and pepper and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until heated through, about 5 minutes.
Greens can be boiled and chopped 1 day ahead and chilled in a sealed plastic bag. You will need to cook them in garlic butter about 10 minutes (instead of 5) when made ahead.