EmploymentCultivating Organic Food, Communities, and Farmers
Farm Manager, River Farm (Bastrop, TX) F/T
Farm Manager for 35-acre certified-organic farm. Create and maintain field plans for 8 acres of production and organic certification records for 200-member CSA; manage wholesale and retail sales; direct pasture rotations for livestock; manage and lead work teams; oversee planting, harvesting, and weeding in field and hoop houses.
Other farm work may include
Daily feed/care of livestock; assist with installation/repair of irrigation/fencing; building barn/outbuildings; install/maintain orchard. Report to farm founders.
40 hours per week. Start ASAP
- Experienced organic farmer with record of increasing responsibility
- Self-directed, well-organized, reliable
- Outgoing, good sense of humor
- Ability to work hard in all-weather, easily lift 50 lbs.
- Know your way around tools, handy
- Passionate about organic, sustainable systems
- Work with minimal supervision
- Clean driving record
- No drugs, prison time; this is a family farm
- Commensurate with experience
- Free certified organic vegetables and pastured meats
- Easy drive to town (Bastrop, 8 miles east; Austin, 20 miles west)
- Access to river for fishing, canoeing, swimming
- Beautiful, restful place to live and work
How to apply
Please send cover letter, resume, three work references, and questions to email@example.com. No phone calls please. Note: Due to time constraints, we will only respond to applicants with farming experience.
Note: Rent-free, on-farm living available for a person with RV/tiny house. Site is on beautiful ridge above Colorado River with deck, water, and metered electricity.
- Positive attitude and passion for New Farm Institute mission, farm-based education
- Experience as multi-year camper or helping manage a camp
- Experience/coursework in organic farming, teaching or environmental education
- Self-directed, upbeat and reliable team player
- Outgoing and able to work with diverse populations
- Strong communication skills, excellent sense of humor
- Ability to lift 50 lbs and lead activities in all weather
- Spanish speaker a plus
- Hourly wage based on experience
- Free certified organic produce each week
- Professional references and job leads
- Approximately 15-20 hours per week beginning in April
- Approximately 35-40 hours week (8:30-3:30, Monday–Friday) beginning in June.
- Position runs from June 1 – July 28, plus staff training days prior to June 1.
New Farm Institute Executive Director (Erin Flynn)
How to apply
Please send cover letter, resume, three work references, and questions to <“a href=”mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org”>email@example.com. No phone calls please.
New Farm Institute at Green Gate Farms, www.newfarminstitute.org. The mission of New Farm Institute (NFI), a 501(c)3 organization, is to educate, assist and inspire citizens and a new generation of sustainable farmers.