EmploymentCultivating Organic Food, Communities, and Farmers
- “Urban Farm” — 5-acres with a farm stand on historic urban farmstead 8 miles east of downtown Austin;
- “River Farm” — 33-acre tract 25 minutes east of downtown Austin (and 8 miles west of Bastrop) along the Colorado River. (Staff participate at both farms, transportation provided.)
- Be a passionate grower, eager to learn about what it takes to succeed in Central Texas
- Have at least two years farming or gardening experience with a record of increasing responsibilities
- Able to guide and work alongside volunteers/workshare members, some of whom have farming aspirations
- Be fit, able to lift 50 pounds, and move heavy coolers
- Possess a sense of humor
- Must actively contribute to the harmony of the farm.
- Carpentry skills, not required but preferred
- Hourly compensation based upon experience, pay increases with responsibilities
- Access to Colorado River for canoeing, fishing, swimming
- May progress to year round position with generous vacation time (review in August)
- Vegetables, eggs and meat allowance provided
- Free attendance at Farm Camp for up to two of your children
- Tuition for one in-state farming/food conference provided after one year of service
Start Date: Immediately. Application Process —Submit cover letter and resume to: email@example.com. Qualified candidates contacted for telephone interview, followed by on-farm interview (if you are not able to come to the farm, please do not apply). No calls, please. Job posting will be removed from website when position is filled.
OFFICE MANAGER JOB
Experienced, reliable Administrative Assistant needed for Green Gate Farms, an award-winning community-based farm in east Austin.
A mature person is needed to manage all aspects of our office. Ideal candidate will have 5-10 years experience working in a fast-paced, non-profit based environment. Attention to detail is our top priority, followed by excellent customer service skills.
The benefits of working here, include: good-humored, competent, independent coworkers; beautiful farm setting; doing meaningful work; and organic food as part of your compensation.
Please note this is administrative work and is not intended for people who would rather be farming.
Required Skills: Bookkeeping, Payroll, Employee Tax Filings, and Mac Computer Systems. Programs used include: Quickbooks, Excel, WordPress, Microsoft Suite, MailChimp, WuFoo, and social media. Graphic design skills desirable.
Organize and improve office operations and procedures; preparing payroll; controlling correspondence; designing filing systems; reviewing and approving supply requisitions; assigning and monitoring clerical functions to interns and volunteers.
Hours/Benefits: Flexible schedule Monday–Saturday, 15-20 hours per week. Pay commensurate with experience. Benefits include: Organic food and free admission to events/camps. Job is initially a temporary contract position through August. Candidate may progress to part-time or full-time staff position after review.
Position begins immediately.
Apply: Send resume, cover letter, references to firstname.lastname@example.org
New Farm Institute at Green Gate Farms, www.newfarminstitute.org. The mission of New Farm Institute (NFI), a 501(c)3 organization, is to educate, assist and inspire citizens and a new generation of sustainable farmers.