- 4 turnips, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- Half-and-half or almond milk or skim milk or soy milk or lactaid
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Pinch of freshly ground nutmeg
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
Place turnips and garlic in a medium saucepan; add enough half-and-half to cover. Place over medium high heat and cook until vegetables are easily pierced with the tip of a knife, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain, reserving cooking liquid.
Return vegetables to saucepan and add egg, butter, and 1/4 cup water. Using a potato masher, mash until smooth, adding more water as necessary. Season with nutmeg, salt, and pepper and serve immediately.